Saturday, August 28, 2010

Powerdown

Less power means less carbon pollution.

Today I started with an exterior light.  It has a motion sensor that flicks it on when you walk past at night.  It used to stay on for seconds, not long enough to walk to the end of the drive.  Far from ideal when guests were trying to leave.  I changed it a while back so it stayed on longer - but over-compensated, so it stayed on for a long, long time.  Today I trimmed back both the time and brightness.

I was going to leave it there for the day but figured that I could make another, bigger difference just by cranking down the boiler thermostat.  It was easy.  I walk past it every day.  I just had to stop, open the door, push in the thermostat and turn anti-clockwise.  I just went one notch.  Let's see how that goes, and maybe I will be able to crank down further.

I also switched off the second fridge. It has been used less and less.  The freezer used to be full, but now almost empty.  So everything was moved to the main fridge which is now much fuller, but not bursting at the seams.  If I leave it switched off I can save 1500-2000 Kilograms of carbon a year according to this energy/carbon cost calculator

No comments:

Post a Comment