Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Goodbye Joseph Sin

This blog used to be about Joseph Sin, a fantasy/sci-fi/comedy manuscript I wrote.  I still think it is an ok book, and would still like to do something with it, but my efforts to date have been v slack.  i was working at home today, and meant to take out 15 minutes to make a call to a lit agent.  But did I? No, I didn't.  I think this is called avoidance.

So, the blog is effectively dead.  Like an old mobile phone in a drawer that you think... well, not sure what you migth think you're going to do with that old phone.  Certainly you're never going to use it again.  So like that old mobile phone I should dispose of it.  In the case of mobile phones, of course, we should recycle.  I learned recently that they contain some metal/chemical/substance that is found in the Congo and so mining of it threatens the habitat of gorillas.

And so, goodbye Joseph Sin, the blog, and hello Reduce, Reduce, Reduce.  Why?  My current reading matter suggests that the earth is irretrievably ruined already.  Climate change is too far gone. The greenhouse gases are high, have raised temperatures already, and started positive feedback loops that will make things worse.  Simultaneously I am watching the leaders of the two main parties in Australia, campaigning for an election at the end of the week, behaving with an astonishing lack of maturity and perspective.  Democracy will never fix climate chage because they see an horizon only 3-4 years away.  Business won't fix it either while their focus is on the next annual statement.

So it is up to us...to reduce, reduce, reduce.

Here's the book I'm reading should you care to have a flick through it.  I'm only up to chapter three so far.
Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet

No comments:

Post a Comment