Saturday, October 22, 2011

Newport Beach - fishing line

Not sure why, but the beach was way busier than it was, say, three months ago.  Perhaps it is something to do with the weather. Anyway, regular readers will know the form by now.  Here's a picture of the beautiful beach...


 and here's a picture of trash I picked up from it.  This is not all the trash I saw - I was on an R&R trip - but I picked up what looked like the most dangerous. Fishing line, and what looks like a used chemical light, and a golf ball. Oh and some kind of plastic bracket.


Here's another shot - of the dune this time.


Here's more line that I had to wade into the sea to get.  It was in a big clump of seaweed.  Easy to spot because of its turquoise colour.  It got me to thinking that all line should be a hideous colour that would be easier to find, and less likely for creatures to eat or become entangled in.


We were lucky enough to see from the beach a pair of humpbacks cavorting and breaching. How privileged I felt, and of course sorry that their ocean was full of fishing line, chemical lights, bottles, bottle tops, chupa chup sticks and lids from plastic soy sauce fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment